Tuesday, February 10, 2009

God Is My Provider

This post is a little different than those which I have written in the past because it will expose some information that I would normally consider private. However, I believe what God has miraculously done in these recent days will far outweigh what small amount of humiliation I may experience in revealing my fallibility. I pray that this, the story of my past mistakes and God's restorative work, will serve as both a lesson and a blessing to you.

God has been working aggressively over the last 5 years to tear down the idols in my life. Many of these gods were quite visible and took center stage on the mantle, while others were tossed in the dark recesses of the closet. One by one they have fallen. Two weeks ago God completely destroyed the largest of my asherah poles. His name was Mammon.

Mammon manifest himself in a number of ways; the nicest television I could afford, the most impressive surround sound I could get my hands on, an overpriced home, a hot rod Mustang, and on and on. I was always hot on the tails of the Joneses.

What God revealed to me about this god in these last weeks was that he was a god of materialistic pursuit; a lifestyle of having, getting and pride. One of the problems associated with serving a god like mammon is that one's sins are not confined to the obeisance one pays him. He requires more time at work and less time at home. He demands that one gets more and give little back (even to God).

This was the god that my God began to expose this last year and fully destroyed two weeks ago.

The following video contains the short story of how God through the working of His Holy Spirit transformed my heart and redeemed what was lost.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Josh, I love this story! Your life is a constant testimony of the faithfulness and REALNESS of Christ!

Sam said...

Hi Mate. Thank you for sharing some of what God has been doing in your life! I am hugely encouraged! God does all things well!

diana said...

Josh, I loved this! Thank you for sharing it. I read your blog yet never comment. The Lord did similar things for us a few years back. Just providing free vehicles and blessing us with money when we needed it because I was expecting child # four (totally unexpected and unplanned. Obviously, God planned him though)He grew our faith in His faithfullness at a time we needed it most!
Diana

Anonymous said...

WOW! WOW! TRIPLE WOW!!!! I am so amazed by you Josh! You are such a blessing and encouragement to me! What a fantastic testimony of how great our God really is!!!! I am so happy for you! congrats! Love you!

Joshua Elsom said...

Thank you all for commenting. I think we all understand intuitively that our Father is constantly at work in our lives, even when we can't see it obviously. Every breath that we draw into our lungs is a gift of God's grace. Every morsel that we place into our mouths is a sovereign act of God to sustain us. However, sometimes God works in such obvious ways that it just floors us. It is amazing to me that God not only knows who I am but He cares enough for me to manipulate and set into motion events that work out for my good and His glory.

He knows me!

Matt Johnson said...

Very good post, Josh! Thanks for sharing your life. This is very encouraging!

Digital Fortress said...

Good story. Pray for me brother.

ZooKeeper Kevin said...

dThanks for this post Josh. If we honestly examine ourselves, like we are required to in Scripture, anyone who reads this can completely relate to your blog. I know I can. I have seen God work in my life in recent years tearing down a variety of idols.

There are still some things I need to surrender to Him, but I have noticed the changes. I still lack discipline in some areas of my walk, but I know I am growing in Christ daily because I pray to do HIS will.

There may only be a total of 14 followers on your blog Josh, but always remember your blog is being read and it truly is a great witnessing tool for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

You are appreciated !! Keep up the great blog.

truthbetoldradio said...

Sounds like me and the computer and/or tv. Please pray for me to have self control to make more time for God. Thank you.